by John Colquhoun, D.D.
© 2020 All rights reserved. No part of this e-book may be reproduced or modified in any form, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publisher. Mary Knoblock: [email protected]
As the absolute Promises of the covenant of grace which comprehend all its other promises, are directed in the offers of the gospel, to sinners of mankind indefinitely, in order that any convinced sinner, trusting cordially in Jesus Christ for all his salvation, may warrantably apply and trust them; and as the restricted Promises are, in the dispensation of the gospel, addressed only to true believers; the Author has endeavoured, under distinct chapters and sections, to distinguish the one sort from the other. Although he has done this as exactly as he could; yet he doubts not, that the intelligent and judicious reader may detect inaccuracies in the distinction.
His design in framing this distinction, is, to teach those exercised Christians who are often disquieted with doubts of their union and communion with Christ, to discern, notwithstanding, their Divine and ample warrant for coming as sinners to Him, and for relying on the absolute promises, directed in offer to them as sinners of Adam's race, as if this were but their first acting of faith, or the beginning of their confidence; and to direct those who are assured of their personal interest in the Saviour, to embrace also and trust the restricted promises, as their security for all the blessings contained in them.
If the following Pages, under the illuminating influences of the Holy Spirit of Promise, shall prove useful but to one humble believer, the Author's labour will be more than remunerated.
Leith, Februay 1825.
Table of Contents
PART 1: CONTAINING ABSOLUTE OR INDEFINITE PROMISES.
CHAP. 1. ABSOLUTE PROMISES OF THE INCARNATION, OBEDIENCE, AND DEATH OF CHRIST, FOR THE REDEMPTION OF SINNERS. .....
CHAP. 2. ABSOLUTE PROMISES OF THE GLORIOUS EXALTATION, AND UNIVERSAL DOMINION OF CHRIST, . .
CHAP.3. ABSOLUTE PROMISES OF CHRIST'S COMING AT THE LAST DAY, TO JUDGE THE WORLD, . .
CHAP. 4. ABSOLUTE PROMISES OF SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS, IN THIS WORLD, .....
Sect. 1. Of God in Christ to be our God, . .
2. Of the Quickening Spirit, or spiritual life,
3. Of converting Grace, . • .
4. Of Supernatural and saving Knowledge, .
5. Of Justifying and Saving Faith, . .
6. Of unfeigned Love to God, . .
7. Of Justification, . . . .
8 Of Reconciliation with God, . .
9. Of Adoption,
10. Of Sanctifying Grace in general,
11. Of the Grace of Repentance in particular,
12. Of godly Fear,
13. Of Access to God in Christ with Acceptance,
14. Of Grace to Pray to God,
15. Of Grace to Mortify the Body of Sin,
16. Of Victory over the World,
17 Of Victory over the Devil,
18. Of spiritual Strength and Courage,
19. Of the Means of Grace,
20. Of Spiritual Fruitfulness, .
21. Of Divine Teaching and Guidance,
22. Of sanctified Afflictions, .
23. Of Meekness,
24. Of Grace to the Children of Believers,
25. Of the Love of God, . :
26. Of his Mercy,
27. Of his Help,
28. Of the Intercession of Christ,
29. Of Eternal Life,
CHAP. 5, ABSOLUTE PROMISES OF THE CONVERSION AND RESTORATION OF THE JEWS, . . . .
CHAP. 6 ABSOLUTE PROMISES OF THE CONVERSION OF THE GENTILES, THROUGHOUT THE WORLD, . .
PART 2: CONTAINING RESTRICTED OR DEFINITE PROMISES.
CHAP. 1. DEFINITE PROMISES OF SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS TO BELIEVERS, IN THIS LIFE,
Sect. 1. Of general Promises to Believers,
2. Of Pardon and Acceptance as Righteous in the sight of God,
3. Of Reconciliation to God,
4. Of Adoption,
5. Of Access to God, and of the Acceptance of their spiritual sacrifices,
6. Of Converting Grace,
7. Of Sanctifying Grace,
8. Of Saving Faith,
9. Of Evangelical Repentance,
10 Of Spiritual and Saving Knowledge,
11. Of Spiritual Wisdom,
12. Of Divine Guidance, ...
13. Of Grace to Mortify indwelling Sin,
14. Of Grace to Overcome Temptation,
15. Of Victory over the World,
16. Of Victory over the devil,
17. Of Spiritual Strength and Courage,
18. Of Spiritual Fruitfulness,
19. Of Increase of Grace,
20. Of Perseverance in Grace,
21. Of a continued Interest in God, as their God,
22. Of a continued Interest in God as their Portion,
23 Of his redeeming Love to them,
24. Of his gracious Presence with them,
25. Of his Mercy,
26. Of his tender Care,
27. Of his present Help,
28. That He will never Forsake them,
29. Of Life from Christ,
30. Of Redemption by Christ,
31. Of all Supplies of Grace from the fulness of Christ,
32. Of his Love to his Redeemed,
33. Of his unwearied Care of them,
34. Of his making Intercession for them,
35. Of his Comforting Presence with them,
36. Of the Influences of his Spirit,
37. Of the Spirit's Teaching,
38. Of his Sealing of Believers,
39. Of his Help in Prayer,
40. Of God's Hearing of Prayer,
41. Of Peace of Conscience,
42. Of Spiritual Comfort,
43. Of Joy in God as their own God,
44. Of the Means of Grace,
45. Of Ability for edifying Discourse,
46. Of a Blessing upon the Ordinances, .
47. Of Sanctified Affliction, . , .
48. Of Grace to the offspring of believers,
49. Of their being made Kings and Priests,
50. Of the Ministration of Angels to them,
51. Of their Union and Communion with the Church,
52. Of Support and Safety to them in dying,
CHAP. 2 DEFINITE PROMISES OF TEMPORAL BLESSINGS TO BELIEVERS,
Sect. 1. Of temporal Blessings in general, .
2. Of Food, . . . .
3. Of Raiment, . . . .
4. Of Divine Protection, . . .
5. Of Health, . . . .
6. Of long Life, . . .
7. Of external Peace, . , .
8. Of Divine Direction, . . .
9. Of Sanctified Prosperity, . .
10. Of Plenty and Riches, . . .
11. Of Honour, . . . .
12. Of a Divine Blessing upon all that they have,
13. Of Children, . . . .
14. Of a Blessing upon their Children, .
15. Of a Blessing upon their Families, .
CHAP. 3. DEFINITE PROMISES CONCERNING THE AFFLICTIONS OF BELIEVERS.
Sect. 1. Of Support under Trouble,
2. Of Deliverance out of Trouble,
3. Of Preservation from Trouble,
4. Of Support in Child-bearing,
5. Of Support in old Age,
6. Of Support under Sickness,
7. Of Deliverance from Sickness, . .
8. Of Deliverance from Famine, , ,
9. Of Deliverance from War, , ,
10. Of Deliverance from Enemies, . .
11. Of Deliverance from false Reproach, .
12. Of Deliverance from Oppression, .
13. To such believers as are Poor and Needy,
14 To such as are Widows or Fatherless, .
15. To those who are Childless, . .
16. To those who are Strangers, . .
17. To such as are Captives or Prisoners, .
18. Of Preserving them from untimely Death,
CHAP.4. DEFINITE PROMISES BOTH OF TEMPORAL AND SPIRITUAL BLESSINGS,
TO THOSE WHO EVIDENCE THEIR UNION WITH CHRIST, BY YIELDING SINCERE OBEDIENCE TO ALL HIS COMMANDS.
Sect. 1. To those who Know God and Christ, ,
2. To those who Believe in Christ, . .
3. To those who confess Christ, . .
4. To those who trust in and Walt for God,
5. To those who Love Christ and God in him,
6. To those who sincerely repent of their sins,
7. To those who sincerely Repent in their Affliction,
8. To those who Mourn for the sins of the Nation,
9. To such as ingenuously Confess their Sins,
10. To those who are Sincere or Upright, .
11. To those who yield New Obedience to God,
12. To those who Obey Christ, . ,
13. To those who Fear God, . . ,
14. To such as Honour God, . . .
15. To those who Pray in faith to God, .
16. To those who truly Seek God, . .
17. To those who sincerely Desire the Grace of God,
18. To those who Praise God, . .
19. To those who have Spiritual Wisdom, .
20. To those who Love and Study true Wisdom,
21. To such as Read and Hear diligently the Word of God, . . . . .
22. To those who Love and Tremble at his Word,
23. To such as Meditate in his Word, .
24. To those who Speak often one to another of the things of Christ, . . . .
25. To those who Govern their Tongues aright,
26. To such as Keep good, and Shun evil Company,
27. To those who are Watchful, . .
28 To those who Humble themselves with Fasting,
29. To those who Perform their Oaths, .
30 To those who duly Keep the Sabbath, .
31 To such as have been Baptized, . .
32. To such as are Worthy Communicants, .
33 To such as Obey their Parents in the Lord,
34. To such parents, as Train up their Children in the way they should go, . . .
35. To those who wisely correct their Children,
36. To good Wives, . . . .
37. To good Servants, . . .
38. To good Kings and Magistrates, . .
39. To good Subjects, . . .
40 To faithful Ministers, . . .
41. To those who Receive, and Hearken to faithful Ministers, . . . .
42. To those who support the Worship, and the Ministers of God, . . .
43. To such as give and Receive Reproofs aright,
44. To those who Love the Brethren, and live in Unity, ....
45. To those who are Peace-makers, . .
46. To such as are Merciful and Liberal to the Poor, .....
47. To those who forgive Injuries, . .
48. To those who are Chaste and Pure in heart,
49. To such as Improve their Talents and are Diligent, . ....
50. To those who are Just and Honest, .
51. To those who speak the Truth and abhor Slander,
52 To such as do not Judge nor Censure their Brethren, . . . . .
53. To those who Mortify the Body of Sin in them,
54. To those who are Content with their Condition,
55. To the Meek, . . . .
56. To the Humble
57. To those who are of a Contrite spirit, .
58. To such as are Patient and Submissive to the will of God, . . .
59. To such as are Persecuted for Righteousness sake,
60. To such as are unjustly Excommunicated,
61. To those who Persevere to the End, .
62. To those who Overcome, . . .
Chapter 5. DEFINITE PROMISES OF BLESSINGS IN THE WORLD TO COME.
Sect. 1. Of Preservation from Hell, . .
2. Of Blessedness immediately after Death,
3. Of a glorious Resurrection, . .
4. Of eternal Happiness in Heaven, . .
5. Of Heaven as an Inheritance, . .
6. Of Heaven as a Kingdom, . .
7. Of Perfect Freedom from all Sorrow in Heaven,
8. Of inexpressibly great Joy in heaven, .
9. Of eternal Glory in Heaven, . .
10. Of the eternal Enjoyment of God, or eternal Life, . . . .
CHAP.6. DEFINITE PROMISES RESPECTING THE STATE OF THE CHURCH,
Sect. 1. Of the Glory of the Church, . .
2. Of the Extension of the Church, .
3. Of the Increase of Means of Grace, and of Knowledge in the Church, . . .
4. Of Holiness and Righteousness in the Church,
5. Of Peace and unity in the Church, .
6. Of the submission, or Destruction of the Enemies of the Church, . . .
7. Of the Destruction of Antichrist, .
8. Of the Favour and Submission of Kings to the Church, ....
9. Of the Security, Peace, and Prosperity of the Church, . . . .
10. Of the Perpetuity of the Church .
That God who is infinitely faithful, will Fulfil all his Promises, ......
Reflections and Exhortations, . . .