Jerome Zanchius, 1516-1590
"And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son!" Romans 8:28-29
The sovereignty of God is a comfort for suffering saints, acting to remove anxiety. How sweet must the following considerations be to a distressed believer!
1. There most certainly exists an almighty, all-wise and infinitely gracious God (Hebrews 11:6).
2. His love for His elect people is immutable; He never repents of it nor withdraws it (Jeremiah 31:3).
3. Whatever comes to pass in time, is the result of His sovereign will from everlasting (1 Corinthians 8:6).
4. Consequently my afflictions are a part of His sovereign will, and are all ordered in number, weight, and measure (Psalm 22:24).
5. The very hairs of my head (every one) are counted by Him; nor can a single hair fall to the ground but in consequence of His wise determination (Luke 12:7).
6. Hence my afflictions and distresses are not the result of chance, accident, or a fortuitous combination of circumstances (Psalm 56:8).
7. They are the providential accomplishment of God's eternal purpose (Romans 8:28), and are designed to answer some wise and gracious ends (James 5:10-11).
8. Nor shall my affliction continue a moment longer than God sees fit (2 Corinthians 7:6-7).
9. He who brought the affliction to me — has promised to support me under it and to carry me through it (Psalm 34:15-17).