John Piper Stats
Jan. 11, 1946
Senior Pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church
Author of books, articles, and
poetry from a
B.A. - Wheaton
B.D. - Fuller Theological
Dr. theol. - University of Munich
Baptist General Conference
7-point calvinist, credo baptist, Historic Premillenialist,
Leans to Covenant Theology, not dispensationalism
"The task of all Christian scholarship—not just biblical studies—is to study reality as a manifestation of God's glory, to speak and write about it with accuracy, and to savor the beauty of God in it. It is a massive abdication of scholarship that so many Christians do academic work with so little reference to God."
(John Piper, The Pleasures of God, p. 298)
“The ministry of preaching is the central labor of my life. My prayer is that
through that ministry and everything else I do the great glory of our God and
Savior Jesus Christ would be magnified as more and more people come to
live out the obedience of faith more and more deeply.”
Piper was born in Chattanooga, Tennessee to Bill and Ruth Piper January 11,
1946. When John and his older sister were still young, the Pipers moved to
Greenville, South Carolina where John spent the rest of his youth years. His
father was an itinerant evangelist who ministered through
international radio and Bible courses. John has written a tribute to his mother,
who died in 1974, in the booklet, What's the Difference? (Crossway Books,
1990) which is also chapter one of the book, Recovering Biblical Manhood and
Womanhood (Crossway Books, 1991).
At Wheaton College (1964-68), John majored in Literature and minored in
Philosophy. Studying Romantic Literature with Clyde Kilby stimulated the
poetic side of his nature and today he regularly writes poems to celebrate
special family occasions as well as composing story-poems (based on the life
of a Biblical character) for his congregation during the four weeks of Advent
each year. At Wheaton, John also met Noël Henry whom he married 1968.
Following college he completed a Bachelor of Divinity degree at Fuller
Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California (1968-71). While at Fuller, John
took as many courses as he could from Dr. Daniel Fuller, the most influential "living" teacher in his life. Through Dr. Fuller he discovered the writings of
Jonathan Edwards, his most influential "dead" teacher.
John did his doctoral work in New Testament Studies at the University of
Munich, Munich, West Germany (1971-74). His dissertation, Love Your
Enemies, was published by Cambridge University Press and Baker Book
House. Upon completion of his doctorate he went on to teach Biblical Studies
at Bethel College in St. Paul, Minnesota for six years (1974-80).
In 1980, after what he described as an irresistible call of the Lord to preach,
John became the senior pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis,
Minnesota where he has been ministering ever since. John is also a
contributor to WORLD Magazine.
John and Noël have four sons, a daughter, and an increasing number of
Source - www.desiringgod.org.
• Love Your Enemies: Jesus' Love Command in the Synoptic Gospels and the Early Christian Paraenesis
(Cambridge University Press, 1980; Baker, 1991).
• The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
(Baker, 1983; 2nd
edition 1993). Book
• Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist (Multnomah, 1986; 2nd edition, 1996, 3rd edition,
2003). Book / Online Edition of Book
• The Supremacy of God in Preaching (Baker, 1990, 2nd edition, 2003).
• The Pleasures of God (Multnomah, 1991; Expanded edition, 2000). Book
• Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood (Co-editor) (Crossway, 1991).
• Let the Nations Be Glad! The Supremacy of God in Missions (Baker, 1993, 2nd Edition 2003). Book
• The Purifying Power of Living By Faith In Future Grace (Multnomah, 1995).
• A Hunger for God: Desiring God Through Fasting and Prayer (Crossway, 1997).
• A Godward Life: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life (Multnomah, 1997).
• God’s Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards (Crossway, 1998). PDF
• The Innkeeper (Crossway, 1998).
• A Godward Life, Book Two: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life (Multnomah, 1999).
• The Legacy of Sovereign Joy (Crossway, 2000).
• The Hidden Smile of God (Crossway, 2001).
• Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ (Crossway, 2001, 2nd edition, 2004). PDF
• The Dangerous Duty of Delight (Multnomah, 2001).
• The Misery of Job and the Mercy of God (Crossway, 2002).
• Brothers, We Are not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry (Broadman & Holman
• The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and
William Wilberforce (Crossway, 2002).
• Counted Righteous in Christ: Should We Abandon the Imputation of Christ's Righteousness?
(Crossway, 2002). Book; PDF Version
• Beyond the Bounds (Co-editor) (Crossway, 2003).
• Don’t Waste Your Life (Crossway, 2003). Book; PDF Version
• Pierced By the Word (Multnomah, 2003).
• The Prodigal’s Sister (Crossway, 2003).
• The Passion of Jesus Christ (Crossway, 2004). PDF
• When I Don't Desire God: How to Fight for Joy (Crossway, 2004). PDF
• Life As a Vapor (Multnomah, 2004). PDF
• A God Entranced Vision of All Things (co-editor w/ Justin Taylor, Crossway, 2004). PDF
• Taste and See (Multnomah, 2005).
• God is the Gospel: Meditations on God's Love as the Gift of Himself (Crossway, 2005). Book
• Sex and the Supremacy of Christ (w/ Justin Taylor, Crossway, 2005). Book
Sermons & Essays
Highly Recommends (Text and Audio)
• Why I Do Not Say:"God Did Not Cause the Calamity but He Can Use It For Good"
• Are There Two Wills in God? Divine Election and God's Desire for All to be Saved
• The Marks of a Spiritual Leader
• Quest for Joy Six Biblical Truths
• Sustained By Sovereign Grace--Forever
• Sovereignty of God and Prayer
• The Suffering of Christ and the Sovereignty of God
• My Anguish: My Kinsmen Are Accursed
• Ten Aspects of God's Sovereignty Over Suffering and Satan's Hand in It
• God Does Not Repent Like a Man
• A Divine And Supernatural Light Immediately Imparted to the Soul
• That Which Is Born of the Spirit Is Spirit
• By What Death Will You Glorify God?
Contending for Our All
The Life and Ministry of Athanasius
February 1, 2005
George Mueller's Strategy for Showing God
Simplicity of Faith, Sacred Scripture, and Satisfaction in God
February 3, 2004
How Few There Are Who Die So Hard!
Suffering and Success in the Life of Adoniram Judson: The Cost of Bringing Christ to Burma
February 4, 2003
Peculiar Doctrines, Public Morals, and the Political Welfare
Reflections on the Life and Labor of William Wilberforce
February 5, 2002
John Newton: The Tough Roots of His Habitual Tenderness
January 30, 2001
You Will be Eaten by Cannibals! Lessons from the Life of John G. Paton
Courage in the Cause of Missions
February 8, 2000
To Live Upon God that Is Invisible
Suffering and Service in the Life of John Bunyan
February 2, 1999
The Swan is Not Silent
Sovereign Joy in the Life and Thought of St. Augustine
February 3, 1998
The Divine Majesty of the Word
John Calvin: The Man and His Preaching
February 4, 1997
Martin Luther: Lessons from His Life and Labor
January 30, 1996
Charles Spurgeon: Preaching Through Adversity
January 31, 1995
The Chief Design of My Life: Mortification and Universal Holiness
Reflections on the Life and Thought of John Owen
January 25, 1994
J. Gresham Machen's Response to Modernism
January 26, 1993
Insanity and Spiritual Songs in the Soul of a Saint
Reflections on the Life of William Cowper
January 29, 1992
A Passion for Christ-Exalting Power
Martyn Lloyd-Jones on the Need for Revival and Baptism with the Holy Spirit
January 30, 1991
Oh, That I May Never Loiter On My Heavenly Journey!
Reflections on the Life and Ministry of David Brainerd
January 31, 1990
Brothers, We Must Not Mind a Little Suffering
Meditations on the Life of Charles Simeon
April 15, 1989
The Pastor as Theologian
Reflections on the Ministry of Jonathan Edwards
April 15, 1988
Author Related Links
Desiring God Ministries
Distributes Piper’s books, audio sermons, online articles, online sermons,
and children’s Sunday School curriculum.
Contains a very large amount of John Piper’s sermon manuscripts.
John Piper at World Magazine
Features articles John Piper has written for World Magazine.
John Piper's Broadcast Archives at OnePLace.com